ANALYSIS OF AIRCRAFT POSITION REPORTS

Allan K. Ohashi

Peer Reviewed

Abstract: The forecasting of flight time across the North Atlantic needs improvement for the best interests of safety and operating efficiency. It has been determined from operational statistics that only 42 per cent of Trans-Atlantic flights are within 15 minutes of predicted flying time; and that the remaining 58 per cent differed from flight plan time on the average by 31 minutes. Naturally, any direct comparison between predicted flight times and actual introduces extenuating conditions due to the variables of air speed, altitude, and distance actually flown. However, the same relationship can be established by using actual and forecast wind components now regularly being maintained by most Trans-Atlantic Meteorological stations for their own benefit.
Published in: NAVIGATION, Journal of the Institute of Navigation, Volume 2, Number 7
Pages: 217 - 223
Cite this article: Ohashi, Allan K., "ANALYSIS OF AIRCRAFT POSITION REPORTS", NAVIGATION, Journal of The Institute of Navigation, Vol. 2, No. 7, 1950, pp. 217-223.
Full Paper: ION Members/Non-Members: 1 Download Credit
Sign In